Lightning Carbon Cranks
The Lightest Integral Crankset and Bottom Bracket assembly … now available for purchase on-line!
- Weight: 395 grams without chainrings, 500 grams with Extralite chainrings, 520 grams with TA Syrius chainrings, 540 grams with Lightning 7075-T6 chainrings (110 BCD 34×50, 170mm SL arms, BB86/BB90; other BB types add 30 grams with ceramic bearing, 40 grams with steel bearings).
- MTB crank weight: 440 gram without chainrings, 600 grams with XX rings and spyder ( 175mm SL arms, BB91/BB95; other BB types add 30 grams with ceramic bearing, 40 grams with steel bearings).
- Tandem set weight: 930 grams without chainrings (130 BCD spyders, BSA or BB/PF30 ceramic bearings, add 20 grams for steel bearings)
- 100% hollow Unifiber integrated arm/spindle high pressure carbon molding
- Super precise ABEC-5 stock steel bearings 100% filled with waterproof grease
- Optional super smooth ABEC-5 hybrid ceramic bearings with low friction seals 100% filled with high performance low friction grease. Not available for BB86/90/91/95.
- 2024-T3 CNC machined spindles, cups, and pedal fittings
- 6AL 4V Ti spindle center bolt
- Hard anodized spindles, cups, and spyder
- Increased strength and stiffness compared to existing cranks
- Length: 160, 162.5, 165, 167.5, 170, 172.5, 175, 177.5, 180, 182.5, 185, 190mm
- Adaptability: Standard Road & MTB Bottom Bracket shells with BSA (English) threads, 68mm (Road), 68 or 73mm (MTB), also BB30, OSBB, BB86/ BB91, BB90/BB95, PF30 Press Fit 30, BB Right, and EVO386.
- Removable, interchangeable aluminum spyders
- Compatible with Power2Max power spider and Specialized spyders.
- Available Lightning Spyder sizes: 110, 130, and 94 double; 130×74 road triple; 64×104 MTB reversible double or triple.
- Triple and 104/64 double cranks include 2024-T3 aluminum inner chainring bolts.
- Q factor: Road double; 150mm. MTB; 175mm, 140mm inside Q factor.
- Chainline: Road double — 43.5mm. MTB double — 48mm. MTB Triple — 50mm. SRAM XX — 51.5mm
- 100 kilogram (220 pound) rider weight limit (SL version); 130 kilogram (285 pound) rider weight limit (HD version), (20 grams heavier)
- Made in USA
- Patent awarded
Confused about bottom bracket types? Check out our cheat sheet.
“The Lightning shifting was actually better (with Stronglight Zephyr rings, 50/36 and Red FD) than it was on my Campag Ultra torque non-compact set-up: shifting between rings was a little quicker and I never dropped the chain off the inside, which happened very occasionally with the Campag.” — Graham B.
“When I spend a good deal of money on something, my philosophy is that I had better see and feel a difference right away. That’s exactly what happened with the cranks. Straight away I knew they were so much more efficient and faster. The first ride was a 30 mile out-and-back ride. I know all the time checks at the various points and know my best times there. At the 20 minute mark I was 1 minute faster. At the 30 minute mark I was 90 seconds faster. At the 15 mile turnaround point I was 3 minutes faster!
“I averaged 19 mph at the end and I think my best average before was 18.3. All this without trying to hammer and go faster. I guess the efficiency and weight savings did it all. So far I have done 3 rides and am amazed each time I ride it. It feels like I have a continuous tail wind. One of the cat 3 dudes tried to shake me off his wheel twice going to the finale and he couldn’t drop me. I was holding on without too much effort. Just amazing! My hat’s off to Lightning. Thanks.” — James
- Installation Procedure
- Reversible 64×104 2×9/10 or 3×9/10 Spyder Details
- SRAM XX Spyder Installation Notes
- Spyder Installation Instructions
- 2009/2010 Spyder modification to fit 2011 cranks
- Bottom Bracket Cup Types
- Buy on-line now!
Copyright © Lightning Cycle Dynamics, 1977–2013