Modifying P-38 seat stays for carbon seat
In order to install the Lightning carbon seat on existing P-38 frames, the top of the seat stays need to be cut down. Perform the following steps to accomplish this:
- Mark 3 inches down from top of existing seat stays (see photo #1).
- Cut top of seat stay off at the mark using a tubing cutter or hacksaw. (see photo #2).
- You may want to protect the paint with tape.
- Remove any burrs from the top of the seat stay.
- Drill the top of the seat stays using a size W (.386) size drill bit. Drill very slowly and carefully, otherwise the bit could catch in the stay and damage it.
- Lightly tap the threaded insert about 1/8 inch deep into the top of the seat stay.
- Apply “Super Glue” adhesive around the insert, then immediately hammer it fully into the stay before the glue sets.
- After the glue sets, the stays are ready for seat installation.