Pete Penseyres is an UltraCycling Hall of Fame 2003 Inductee who has set a number of records on Lightning bicycles — in some cases, the same bicycles you can buy today.
“On grades up to 6%, I climb faster on my Lightning than on my road bike. Also, the road bike doesn’t have a noticeable advantage unless the grade is greater than 10%.”
Here is a list of just some of Pete’s exploits:
- Pete at Paris-Brest-Paris (1995)
- Pete’s 24-Hour Record (1994)
- Pete’s San Francisco to LA record (1991)
- Pete’s HPV RAAM win (1989)
- Pete’s Seattle to Portland Win (1985)
- Penseyres and Lightning win the Seattle to Portland Challenge (1985)
- Pete Penseyres wins Seattle-to-Portland (1985)
Pete even used a Lightning F-40 for his daily commute.
(Note: Part 1 of this interview deals with Pete’s experience on upright bikes. )